Friday, March 18, 2005

In Deeper

After taking a closer look at the underside of the body,I decided to remove the body from the frame. I need to strip the old undercoating off and apply new. This will take some real effort. The old tar based stuff that's on there will have to be heated with a heatgun and scraped off with a putty knife, then wire wheeled to bare metal. While I'm at it, I am going to remove the spare tire well in the trunk (the hole where the spare sits). The idea is to put the spare flat on the floor of the trunk just behind the rear seat. The spare I will be using is too wide to fit in the original well. By doing this I will be able to install a larger gas tank. My buddy Dan is going to build me a new tank out of stainless steel as soon as I draw up some prints with the dimensions. The original tank is 16 gallons and the new one will be 20 maybe 21 gallons, we'll see. To get to the bottom of the body I built a rotisserie. These babies cost $700+, so I got some scrap tubing from Sylvan (free), angle iron and pipe from David (suitcase of beer) and had some $10 yard sale casters. I'm pretty proud of how it turned out and how well it works. The body is very easy to move around the shop. I can roll it on it's side for space saving.



Space saving mode



Easy access to any part of the body


2 Comments:

At 12:06 PM, Blogger ~Phoenix~ said...

Crafty, Crafty, Crafty. Not only does he restore cars, but he builds cool gadgets too.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Erica said...

A rotisserie? For your car? Now that is rad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home